atlanta shenanigans and what's on my knitting needles


Last week, Aaron and I ventured to Atlanta, Georgia for the original purpose of attending the wedding of one of my closest friends, Teija. But it was also equal parts a vacation as well as a chance to spend time with another one of my closest friends, Emma, who ended up sharing a hotel room with us.

Can I just preface this post by saying that it was delightful to leave Calgary, with it's -15 °C temperatures, to spend six days in lovely late summer/early fall weather? 

On our first day there we headed to the Georgia Aquarium. This was top on our list of places that we wanted to go, and it didn't disappoint. We paid extra for a behind the scenes tour and spent over six hours there in total.
We also made a point to spend a day at the World of Coke. I wasn't expecting much from this place, to be honest. But I was pleasantly surprised by how much fun it ended up being. There were some moments of feeling like we were in Willy Wonka's chocolate factory and also moments where it felt like a whole bunch of corporate brainwashing. (Which might have worked, since on every flight on the way home I kept asking for a coke to drink...) But it was fun all the same. Especially at the end, where you could try different Coca-Cola drinks from around the world.
Those were the two major tourist attractions we went to. On our last night we did go to the Vortex for their famous burgers - which were delicious by the way. The wedding was a ton of fun, and I left Atlanta feeling like I'd made a handful of new friends and acquaintances. 

Since I started this blog to primarily be about knitting, let's talk about what's on my needles! Prior to leaving for vacation, I'd just started the edging on my Evenstar shawl. This is a circular shawl, and before you start the edging you have over 600 stitches going around it. For every two rows of the edging you subtract one from the circumference. The edging is a 20 stitch repeat that you do 56 times. So basically? This edging is going to take me forever. Oh yeah and did that there are beads too? It's slow going, but it's looking really lovely so far. 


On our trip to Atlanta I brought along a skein of Spritely Goods Sylph to start on the Orchid Thief pattern while on the plane. I've admired this pattern for awhile and was really happy when Ysolda released it in pdf format. I managed to complete the first couple of charts from it.


Hurrah, and thus concludes my first official post to this thing I call a blog! 

Until next time!

C.

2 comments:

  1. You're awesome, Candace, and your blog is too!! Lovely pictures :) Would love to hear more about your behind-the-scenes Aquarium tour!! Sounds like an incredible experience!!!!! :D

    Now I raise my Coca-Cola and CHEERS to your 'first official post'. Looking forward to many more... (do you teach knitting?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. gahhhh i don't know how you knit with beads! I tried once and got so frustrated I wanted to burn it and throw it away. Can't wait to see what it looks like all finished!!

    ReplyDelete